Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Origins: Modern Friction

This evening I tried my first Origins product after noticing a few lingering among my mothers many bathroom accessories. The title was instantly appealing--"Natures Gentle Dermabrasion" (dermabrasion is a harsh procedure performed in a dermatologist office or medispa that removes the top layer of the skin over periods of sessions using aluminum oxide. The skin is left irritated immediately--with a period of redness--with the intention of removing fine lines, discoloration, sun damage,etc. The effect is instantaneous, however, for many, over time with too many dermabrasion services skin becomes very irritated, (red, itchy, flaky) and if the services are performed incorrectly, visible indents are common from lingering in one area too long.) I am always looking for a gentle, alternative way to give myself a good exfoliation--especially during the winter months.
I quickly looked up the Modern Friction online to make sure it was suitable for my skin type: normal/dry/sensitive and decided to give it a go. Although the directions said to begin with a dry face, I knew that would be too harsh for my skin type, despite the promise of gentle rice exfoliators, and presoftened my face with luke warm water. I took about two fingerfuls and spread the mixture across my chin, cheeks, upper lip, nose and forehead. I very softly performed my hands like a rotary brush and made tiny circles across all of my driest skin areas. Instantly I felt a harsh tingle that I didn't like (which most women and men love--gives the user a feeling of activation!) but remembered that the ingredient listing had bergamot (citrus) and peppermint, which always give the tingly feeling. I left it on for a little less than a minute, worried of the rising tingle I felt, and washed it off. The mixture is hard to wash off--and is best suited for a cleansing cloth (never use a rough wash cloth--if thats all you have, wash it several times with a detergent softener.) My face was incredibly red--never a good sign--my face was not comfortable with this product. Although an esthetician who supports this product would tell you its typical to see redness, the product is working hard to exfoliate the top layer and has high active ingredients, my skin therapy studies have taught me to trust my skin-- high redness is a sign of irritation, and is your skins way of telling you to stop. A little redness is expected when trying new products--but if your skin feels burny, take it off! (Although there are certain products I support for acne users that feel burny, but the skin doesn't turn red--pay attention to what happens every time you remove any facial product. If you are very red, most likely your skin is irritated by the product ingredients)
All in all my response to this product wasn't good, but I have sensitive skin.
I made sure to tone aterwards, to restore my skins ph levels (not toning afterwards only makes the skin work harder to restore the ph levels and takes a few hours. the toner helps protect the skin afterwards from outside advancements)
And I double moisturized--my skin felt very tight and uncomfortable.
I would only recommend this product to those with normal skin, a very balanced layer of oils, because the mixture removed all of my oils when I washed it off. However, I would recommend the user to pay attention afterwards for high redness and tightness. If either is felt--say goodbye! And moisturize!!

No comments:

Post a Comment