Thursday, July 15, 2010

Dermalogica

I have incredibly mixed feelings about Dermalogica. Their mission is one hundred percent on target: eliminating ingredients like mineral oil, lanolin, alcohol, formaldehyde, and irritating artificial colors to create products using safe ingredients (yes-more natural plant based ones!) that calm and stabilize the skin. Today I recieved a facial from Dermalogica that I have to say was out of the ballpark. It was so good I was unable to function for the first hour afterwards; I was dizzy and slightly hallucinating. Anyone who saw me said "Wow Mirabel, you look really relaxed!" And all I could reply was "yes, yes I am."
The facial: It began innocent enough. Precleanse was applied, a standard for every dermalogica facial that does the job of most cleansers, removing makeup, dirt of the day, excess oils, etc. so the cleanser used afterwards can do a more thorough clean and reach deeper in the skin layers. The hand movements during the cleansing manipulations were so synchronized and felt more like a massage than basic cleansing. Up my neck and decoletee, chin cheeks and nose, around my eyes and forehead then swept across my temples. It was beautiful, and very much like a dance across my face. After she used two types of rotary brushes on my face which I asked for her to use because I wanted to feel it (however in my skin condition she should have said no! i have very sensitive skin with distended/broken capillaries in my cheeks from inflammation from previous products, lifestyle, etc. however, i did like the feeling of the brush, i prefer to work without machines because they tend to be too much for the skin surface, tearing and inflamming) I was a little unimpressed that my temples were never accentuated, but rather just swept across. Having pressure on the temples is one of my favorite feelings, besides being beneficial to me. My skin care therapist then analyzed my skin, noting my sensitivity levels in my chin and cheeks, saw a few extractioins needed to be made, and we were off. She used the Daily Microfoliant, a rice based exfoliater that dulls away dead skin cells and leaves the skin feeling smooth. This product is fun to use-- it is a powder to emulsion so first wet hands then shake onto your hands about a teaspoon and apply to your face in upwards circles. (remember to always tone and moisturize after exfoliating!) Before extracting, the therapist applied a product called Scaling Liquid that helps pull sebum to the surface (disincrustation) to allow for more gentler extractions. She then extracted for about five minutes, very painless and fast, I was impressed with her professionalism here. Afterwards she applied a post extraction fluid, wasn't told what was in this, and applied a cooling masque to tone down redness and return moisture.
For the next twenty minutes I was massaged....and it was breathtakingly fantastic. My neck was massaged thoroughly along with my scalp, hands and arms. Every inch including the tips of my fingers recieved attention. I was so sad to have it end. I am hardly a person who feels satisfied when the massage is over--it should never end in my book!
Favorite: As she removed the final masque, the warm towel she used was scented with the most incredible fragrance. I asked her what it was and she didnt know. Dermalogica has the therapists make the towels in water that has a Botanical Mixer added to it, and can I tell you, incredibly beautiful smelling. I loved every towel!
Another favorite: All of the dermalogica smells. They are not synthetic at all--but are quite strong which makes me question it a little bit--but--very endearing smells.
Dislike: Dermalogica claims to be a company that doesn't test on animals, but also says is noncomedogenic (non pore clogging basically) but the only way to claim that is by testing on animals. Strange.

No comments:

Post a Comment